Sunday, May 3, 2009

Random Ramblings

I don't have much to update, we really have been up to much lately. Easter break ended and now we are just back to our normal schedule, and just relaxing on the weekends. Harrison has the STAR testing for the next 10 days at school. The No Child Left Behind Act has so severly increased the need for the students to grade high on the STAR test that the kids are nothing less than having nervous breakdowns- even in 3rd grade. It's getting pretty freakin' ridiculous with this nonsense. Seriously, why does my 8 year old need to know how to add and subtract fractions, decimals and do extremely difficult long division. What else is there going to be to learn after 3rd grade?! He knows everything there is to know now! Dunno if y'all experience anything similar or not. But we've been blown away by the academic expectations ever since kindergarten, when he had to be able to read short books all by himself when he was only 4!

In other randomness, I was reading this article on women.com about how women don't like to work for other women. It made me think about how competitive we, women, are some times. We just can't root for each other? Can there only be one successful women in one work place at a time? Does this happen with women, even outside of the work place? It's difficult for me sometimes, because I was the only girl among my 3 brothers. I never really had to compete against another girl, so I just never realize there was this animosity amongst us. Was this just a random sampling of women who had this opinion? Is it reflected of the real world? I work with many great, great attorneys, most of which are women. I do work for the State though, which I've heard referred to as a "women's job" by another male attorney. Still not sure what that means though....just some good food for thought.

We've seen some really good, highly recommended movies lately. If you haven't seen any of the following, go rent them:
- The Wrestler
- Marley & Me (mom, watch this movie and then call me to discuss)
- Hotel for Dogs
- Slumdog Millionaire (better then expected considering the hype)

One really good show we've been watching is Amazing Race. We really love this show- expect for the part we had to skip over because of the explicatives! Seriously, since when can you use the b---h word at 7pm on a Sunday night on prime time TV?!?! We were seriously appauled and I wrote a letter to the network. Other than that, the show is really entertaining and its a great way to show Harrison around the world and different cultures.

Okay, I think that's enough rambling for now. I just haven't updated in 2 weeks but really there's been nothing to update! We are having a good "down time" right now before summer break and many vacations start. Soon we'll be heading to San Diego, Central Coast and Las Vegas this summer. We are excited, but I'm spending plenty of tiem at the gym, getting ready for swimsuit season.

1 comments:

Amy Tobler said...

One of my professors has all of her female doctoral students read a book called "tripping the prom queen" about the competition among women. I recommend "queen bees & wannabes" the whole thing is fascinating. Sad, but fascinating.